Winter weddings in Spokane are becoming a popular choice for couples, as they offer a host of benefits and opportunities. Imagine pulling up to your reception in a horse drawn carriage, snuggled up to your new spouse under a cozy blanket with holiday lights twinkling in the background… it doesn’t get much more romantic than that! If you’re considering or planning a wintertime wedding, here’s eight tips to consider:
- ACCESORIZE! Winter accessories can help you stay warm while you’re traveling between venues and give you many choices to make your wedding party look winter wonderful. Faux fur stoles, veils, capes and hand muffs are all in play, as are flowing scarfs, long opera gloves for the ladies and velvet chic vests for the guys.
- BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING…. AND WINTER WEDDINGS. Boots can be a practical shoe choice for the bridal party and they are oh so trendy for winter weddings!
- ALLOW EXTRA TRAVEL TIME – Inclement weather can slow down traffic, so allow extra time between your ceremony and reception. You may also want to consider having your ceremony and reception in the same venue, which makes things much easier for everyone.
- ROMANTIC WINTRY WEDDING DECOR. Embrace the early darkness of the season with lots of romantic candles in both your ceremony and reception venues. Decorate in rich, warm tones of red, burgundy, black and gold. Use lots of natural greenery and perhaps add a sprig of fir to the backs of your ceremony or reception chairs. Click here for more simple winter wedding decor ideas.
- WINTER WEDDING PICTURE TIPS — With winter weddings, getting great pics is all about the timing. Schedule group photos early in the day to take advantage of the brighter natural lighting. Since the sun sets earlier, you may also capture a stunning sunset during or right after your ceremony. The best bet is to chat with your photographer before you finalize the day’s agenda. They’ll have a good idea of what works (and what won’t!)
- FREEZE YOUR FLOWERS. One of the hot trends for winter weddings is ice-cold, frozen flower arrangements. Frozen flowers can be part of a stunning ice sculpture, keep your champagne cold in floral ice buckets, or used as memorable centerpieces.
- INCLUDE A HOT CHOCOLATE BAR. For a kid friendly reception, create a hot chocolate bar with all the fixings; candy canes, cinnamon stirrers, marshmallows and lots of whipped cream.
- SO MANY HONEYMOON CHOICES. Escape the cold and enjoy a warm, sunny island honeymoon or choose a cozy, winter wonderland getaway for hot tubbing, hot toddies, dancing fires and lots of snuggling. Adventure seekers? Kenya is beautiful in winter with fabulous game viewing, romantic lodges and jaw-droppingly gorgeous white sand beaches. Click here for more winter honeymoon choices.
Cover photo from Apple Brides, the Inland Northwest’s Premier Bridal Resource